Tinger Tiger Muffins!!
I’ve been dreaming of these muffins for weeks and I finally found the time to make them! They are so delicious! The fermented ginger and turmeric taste sweet like candy and are not overwhelming in the midst of sweet cornmeal and almond like flavors.
When I make West Fork’s TINGER TIGER water kefir I use ginger and turmeric to flavor it. When the ferment is done, usually I compost the ginger and turmeric bits but I knew they were still good and could be used again. I also use water kefir instead of baking soda to get the muffins to rise. Water kefir consist of bacteria and yeast so it’s great to bake with. Anyway, I’ll get into this simple and easy to make recipe.
1 C water kefir
1/2 C oats
3/4 C cornmeal flour
1/4 C rice flour
1/2 C almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbls brown sugar or honey
1/2 stick butter
(1 tsp baking soda if you don’t have water kefir, use water or milk instead water kefir)
1/2 C fermented or candied ginger and turmeric.
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease muffin pans.
(Optional step. If you don’t have fermented ginger and turmeric you can candy chopped ginger in a pan with butter and sugar.)
2) In a medium sized bowl beat eggs first then add water kefir and whip together.
3) Add oats, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
4) Add flours, sugar and salt, (baking soda too if you don’t have water kefir) and mix.
5) Add melted butter and mix.
6) Add chopped, fermented ginger and turmeric and mix together. Add more water kefir of flour if the mix is too thin or too thick.
7) Fill each greased muffin tin with about 1/2 cup muffin mix or until level with edge.
8) Place the loaded muffin pan in the oven and bake for 16 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.
9) Let then rest about 5 minutes, eat em’ with butter and enjoy!!
Thanks for baking! Stay healthy y’all!